Tuesday, June 29, 2010

CH 3 "Higher Education: Colder by Degrees" repsonse

After the chapter 3 reading, "Higher Education: Colder by Degrees" by Myra and David Sadker, I learned of something occurring in the college system that I was previously unaware of. The article explains how men and women are unequal in the classroom. Men tend to be more dominant in discussions, as women seem to keep quite and low-key. Not only do the men take over the discussions, but sit in the front, close to the professor, where women sit on the other side of the room, almost in hiding. The professor is mainly to blame for this, as they tend to favor male students more. Professors are said to take the male side in discussion, while they may disagree or not fully listen to what the woman has to say. Compliments are given to the men by the professor after they have spoken up, where woman are only somewhat acknowledged. Eye contact is usually only made with males on the professor's part as well. As you can see, even at the college level, there is a great deal of biased actions in the classroom. Although there could be complaints and charges filed on behalf of the woman, they don't bother with it and often simply drop or fail the course, in the mind set that nothing will happen to the professor and it will be pointless.
My opinion on what i have read in the article is that the whole thing is simply ridiculous! I think today's society has proven that woman can be just as successful and as important as men! I am so sick of the sexism in the world today, and am shocked to hear that it is so common at the college level. Personally, if I ever experience that feeling, I will call the professor out on it or do something, rather than sit there and take it. I am not pay thousands of dollars a year to feel like I'm not important and my opinion doesn't matter simply because I am a woman. I am going to college for an education, just as the men are, and will not receive any less of it because a professor is sexist. I think most woman are actually smarter than most men in many areas. So, no one will ever be make me feel discriminated against in that manner. It is uncalled for and unprofessional. The professors known of such a crime should be punished, as it is a serious offense. We are living in 2010, gender roles have significantly changed over the last 50 years!

1 comment:

  1. Good summary and reaction. Unfortunately, in many cases women are just as unaware of this happening as men are, because they are so used to it :(

    ReplyDelete